Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Grrrrreat Ocean Road

Everyone needs to do themselves a favor and make their way to Melbourne Australia and drive the Great Ocean Road (GOR). It is spectacular. An embarrassment of beauty. Limestone and sandstone cliffs 10 stories high that overlook turquoise water and white sand beaches. Pictures don't really do it justice, although I tried my best to make it so. Just an amazing place. just inland from he coast is rainforest which provide a tropical backdrop for dozens of waterfalls. I had amazing company and hosts for my time on the GOR. James and Lydia (brother of my friend Tash, whom I stayed with in Melbourne) were fantastic. They are both chefs and I was treated to world class dinners with steak tons of delicious side dishes and homemade ice cream made ingredients straight out of their backyard. James also works for a company that provides helicopter flyovers of the GOR and was able to get me a discounted flight that gave me a birds eye view of this amazing place. I will try to post pics at a later date, but look it up on the web to get an idea of what I spent 3 days enjoying. Have spent the last 2 days in Surfers Paradise, just outside of Brisbane with cousin Jeff. Nice to have family on the trip and a comfy hotel bed to boot. i will traveling to Hervey Bay this weekend to snorkel the Great Barrier Reef and visit Fraser Island. Again, will post pics when not so rushed for time.

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see pictures! Keep these posts coming...for all of us to live vicariuosly through you - and especially so your parents know you are alive and well! Parents never stop worrying...no matter how old or capable you are! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to learn of a spot to visit if and when I get to Australia. Nice to start your trip with wonderful hosts and family. Can't wait to see your pictures. How special getting to see the GOR from up above.
    Happy Travels
    MomG

    ReplyDelete
  3. australia is great...only did a little bit of the GOR but what we saw of it was amazing...we honeymooned in port douglas so if you can squeeze it in during your time in the great barrier reef definitely do so

    h

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really enjoyed my time in Australia. Ridiculously expensive though. I never though I would see the day when a Corona cost 10 USD. Didn't get to Port Douglas but snorkeling on Lady Elliot Island, which is the southernmost tip of the GBR, was something I will never forget. Never knew that AUS is almost as wide as the USA. Way too much see in such a short amount of time.

      Delete