Friday, May 25, 2012

Why go to the zoo when you can go to Africa?

Cost, I guess. But if you can afford a trip to Africa, I can't imagine any of you being disappointed. It is wild driving around and having to slow down to wait for zebras and elephants to cross the street. So what animals have I seen so far?

Lion, elephant, zebra, ostrich, wildebeest, warthog, cheetah, leopard, hippo, rhino, cape buffalo, kuku, oryx, yellow hornbilled, rock dassies, garmer, skink, rori bustard, glossy starling, jackal, lilac breasted roller, chamelion, scorpion, snake, kudu, bats, baboon, hyena, antelope, impala, monitor lizard, crocodile, secretary bird, stork, blue crane, red billed ox picker, african pied wogtail, vulture, dik dik, sable, springbok, gemsbok, klipsringer, guinea fowl, african dartar, and tons of other bird species. All of these animals have been seen in the wild. Blows my mind at times the animals I have seen.

A bit difficult to catch people up on a blog after not posting for 2 weeks. I spent some time at the Okavango Delta which is this body of water in the middle of the Kalihari desert. Quite a unique thing. We camped out for a couple of nights on an island and did some game walks. Also participated and some native song and dance.
Chobe national Park was another destination for game sighting. Taking a boat cruise down a river that was lined with herds of elephant, giraffe, buffalo, and tons of hippos. One of the highlights was watching an elephant scratch his belly with his own penis. If it sounds impossible, then you have never seen an elephant with an erection.  Last couple of days I have been at Victoria Falls. The water is so abundant as it comes over the falls, that it creates mist which makes viewing the falls a bit difficult. I took a helicopter ride over the falls today to get a nice bird's eye view.

And...I went bungee jumping. 111 meters down. I spent all day yesterday summoning up the courage to take the jump, which wasn't easy given that some woman actually plunged into the river a couple of months ago when her rope broke. She lived, but it still made me slightly uneasy. It was a blast though. Not as much of an adrenaline rush as skydiving was, but still quite a thrill. And as I was dangling in the gorge, the mist and sun created a rainbow that formed a complete circle. Didn't know that such a thing was possible. It was enormous. I only wish I had my camera with me.

Have eaten some interesting foods. Kudu, warthog steaks, crocodile tail, antelope stew, smoked bream, bbq guinea fowl, mopani worms. All quite tasty, especially the warthog.

Cheers

4 comments:

  1. WOW- can only imagine the animals you've seen. One of these days I'll get on a safari. Glad you're still in one piece after the bungee jump- so who's doing PT on your muscles after the jump?
    Can't wait to see some of your pictures. Glad all's going well.
    Happy Travels
    MomG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you again. Fascinating adventures!
    Not exactly a vegan diet you're on, is it.
    Looking forward to the pictures you've taken. Should be spectacular.
    Jane M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am still waiting for my shipment of tusks. Get on that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, to clarify, thought I (Jason) was logged in as myself for that last comment. Apparently I was wrong. Know I'm still logged in as Jeremy, but just trust that it's me and he is in fact not talking to himself.

    ReplyDelete