Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sand

I spent parts of 4 days trying to upload pics and these were all that managed to upload. At least it gives a little feel of the Great Wall. Also a random pic of the first campsite where we stayed in Namibia.

Anyway, I spent the last few days in Swakopmund, Namibia. It is this German town along the Atlantic Ocean coast of Namibia. Massive sand dunes arise almost as soon as the ocean ends and there are tons of adrenaline activities to do. I chose to do sand boarding and quad biking. Sand boarding is is snow boarding on sand. I don't really like the board when compared to skis, and this was also the first time I had ever used a board, so there were tons of wipeouts on this huge mountainous dune. Sand kept accumulating in places where sand doesn't belong. On the whole, it was a fun experience, but it would be more fun if I was proficient with my board skills. We also got to go down the dunes on 'sleds' (essentially a piece of pressed cardboard) and I reached speeds of 66km/h. Pretty fast, and since I didn't get to do any sledding on snow this year, this was a nice substitute. The following day I went quad biking which is taking a 4 wheel vehicle and driving all around the dunes. We did that for 2 hrs and the views were amazing yet again.

I can't believe the amount of things I have seen and done already and I am only 1 week in to this 4 month adventure. Not gonna have much chance over the next couple of months to update this blog. We are going to be doing alot of camping in bush camps and actual campsites and I don't think I will be in internet connected towns but for a couple more times on this entire trip. I wish all of you well and look forward to updating you whenever possible. Cheers.


Great Wall






The view from our first campsite in Namibia

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had some fun new sand adventures. Interesting talking to you this morning and learning about the quick weather/temperature changes. Enjoyed seeing your new pictures. We'll miss hearing from you on this next leg of your safari.
    Happy Travels
    MomG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namibia has always been high on my list, congrats on getting there buddy!

    ReplyDelete