Thursday, March 22, 2012

How a 3 lane highway becomes 9 in a matter of seconds

One of the things that I have noticed in my travels so far is that the 5 senses get a huge workout on a daily basis compared to every day living at home. I am keenly aware of every smell, fair or foul. My head is on a swivel with sights and surroundings. I hear everything. Every strange noise, person walking behind me, and dialect spoken. I feel every bed coil. And of course all of the unique foods. It can be a bit overwhelming at times. I can't really take anything for granted, nor do I want to. I want to experience everything I possibly can and not just sleepwalk through everyday life, which I sometimes have a tendency to do at home. But enough already Malaysia with your scooter riding horn honking and sidewalk driving. You want to know how 3 lane roads become 9. Let me tell you: sidewalk, shoulder, lane, lane road dashes, lane, dashes, lane, shoulder, sidewalk. That's 9. I don't want to have think about being struck by a scooter while on a sidewalk. They just hop the curbs, make U-turns, and generally just own the road. Lane markings are apparently just guidelines and nothing too strictly followed by any vehicle on the road for that matter. Crossing the street is an Olympic sport, or at the very least, like being in the classic video game Frogger. Crosswalks are also a relative term. If my legs are physically capable of getting me across the street, then any portion of road is a crosswalk. I asked a woman today how to get to the National Museum. "Go through the Hilton parking lot, cross the highway and hang a right." Can't recall ever giving instructions to someone at home that included the phrase, "Cross the highway."

My time in Kuala Lumpur has been enjoyable. Petronas Towers are striking. Malaysia is also a country that feels 3rd world with a splash of 1st world thrown in. They are really investing alot in infrastructure to become more of a player in the world economy by 2020, and it shows. But when you get to rural areas, it is really rural.

I was dining at the Hard Rock Cafe the other day on nachos, and man were they good. That's not the point though. Behind my seat at the bar was a framed poster from a James Brown concert back in 1968 that he performed at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD. Was kind of nice to see that and think about home. I actually saw him perform live not too long before his death, and have gone to countless shows and festivals at Merriweather.

I also got a massage the other day, and man was that interesting. I bought a 45 min foot massage and sat down on this recliner with a Jean Claude van Damme playing in front of me without volume because US love songs and power ballads were playing in the background. Once that was finished, he asked me if I wanted I neck and upper back massage. Since it was really hot outside, I figured what the heck. I have been carrying around heavy bags for almost 7 weeks. Well I got a bit more during those 60 mintues than I bargained for. It ended up being a full body massage, only a towel separating me from the world. It was funny, strange and at times quite relaxing. It definitely did the trick, but understanding the language might have allowed me to stay clothed for the entire process.

Heading off to the Perhentian Islands to do some snorkeling and leaving tonight on an overnight bus. I already have my ticket, so hopefully there will be fewer mishaps than my last attempt at an overnight adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Can only imagine the sensory overload you must be dealing with all the time. Looking forward to seeing some of your Malaysia pictures.
    Have fun snorkeling-
    Happy Travels,
    MomG

    ReplyDelete