Friday, July 4, 2014

Sensory Suffocation and other Free Time Conclusions

It may seem as though my entire life is nothing but free time these days, and for anyone who's not retired or on summer break, I'd be hard pressed to argue with you. But in actuality, I probably have the same amount of free time on the road as I do at home and fewer things to do during my free time. I know. Boo hoo for me, right? But it's kinda true. After a day of work I can lay on my couch, watch TV, hang out with friends/family, participate in sports, go to the gym, go see a movie, go to a bar, read, watch my wife organize the house and do chores, etc etc. Now obviously, I can still do some of those things after a day of sightseeing, but Sara and I are on a budget, and for destinations not found in Africa, Asia, and the former Soviet Union, once we pay for lodging and food for the day, there generally isn't much left of the daily budget to go on excursions or go out for a night on the town. That isn't to say we don't occasionally splurge, but as we have made the conscious decision to try and prolong our travels for as close to a year as possible, generally our nights are spent sitting in a hostel common area or dorm bed in a room with 4-8 other people. And while I did actually finish a Jack Reacher novel the other day (first book I've read since Oct 2012), most of my free time is spent thinking. All of this is a long winded way of saying, "Here are some of my thoughts and conclusions made during the trip to date."
I will never tell anyone they absolutely have to visit some place or that they should avoid a destination altogether and spend their money elsewhere. While I would like to think I can give a pretty informed opinion in helping guide someone towards places they may enjoy more than others, ultimately it's important to do your own research when planning a trip.

Know yourself well enough to know how best to spend your money when it comes to museums and attractions, but always make it a point to seek out and try authentic local cuisine at some point during your trip no matter the cost. In other words, don't come to Morocco and bring back pizza to a hostel when you can stuff yourself with local cuisine for $5 USD.

To try and describe Africa, to anyone who's primarily spent their entire existence living the first world lifestyle, is an exercise in futility. At any given moment, Africa can simultaneously heighten all of your senses more than anywhere else in the world. Southeast Asia is a close 2nd. Which leads me to the following...

Sensory Suffocation. We've all heard of sensory deprivation and sensory overload. But I would like to introduce into the English lexicon the term: Sensory Suffocation. Loosely defined, it is the simultaneous overload of all 5 senses. To be pushed to this state of being is no small feat. There are very few places in the world where you can experience a dizzying array of colors, deliciously aromatic and exotically spiced food, maddeningly loud car horns, scooter engines, horse clip clop, horns, drums, and calls to prayer, all while being painfully aware of sweaty clothing sticking to your body. These sensory experiences must also be unique, or to a level never before experienced in order to truly feel suffocated. It is most likely a state of being that will result from prolonged exposure in a new environment where the brain hasn't fully comprehended how one sense was challenged by the time the next sense reaches maddeningly heightened levels. While initially a miserable feeling, cured only by a place of solitude, retrospect ultimately is the best medicine.

Feeling small in nature is totally different than feeling small in a city. To float in the middle of the ocean, stand at the top of a mountain, stare up from the base of a fjord, and wonder if this glacier will ever end are all near religious experiences which make you think about from where you've come, where you are right now, and where your life goes from here. Feeling small in a city just makes me feel unimportant, though it still makes me question the life decision which brought me to the city in the first place.

Traveling as much as I have is a blessing and a curse. I wouldn't be the person I am today without the experiences gained from my travels, but with each passing country, it becomes harder and harder to be amazed and unfortunately becomes easier and easier to get more jaded. I think more interaction with the locals is the solution to this first world problem.

I've had my wife exfoliate my skin with Icelandic mud while soaking in the Blue Lagoon.
I've been bathed in my birthday suit by a woman in her 70's at a Finnish sauna.
I've been bathed, while only wearing paper underwear, by a Moroccan woman in her late 20's.
Conclusion: I will get along just fine if the day comes when I can no longer bathe myself.

American Subway: $5 footlong
Lithuanian Subway: $6 footlong
New Zealand Subway: $7 footlong
Norwegian Subway: $15 footlong

A travel companion is almost always preferable to traveling alone. There are always exceptions to the rule, but thankfully, my wife isn't one of them.

To reiterate, I'm still over the hostel, though as stated above, there are always exceptions to the rule. Just cook for me and don't cater to the adolescent.

And finally,


What in wide world of horrible fashion is going on here? The woman on the left is wearing a camouflage top with Barbie spandex tights and pink jelly shoes. The woman on the right is wearing a Canadian tuxedo which would make a Canadian jealous as she stepped up her denim game by wearing denim boots to complete her denim ensemble(h).

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. I certainly agree with your comments about being small in the world of nature vs. in a city. You know Dad and I are more the lovers of the world of nature and not as much cities. The sounds, sights, smells, and colors of Morocco sound very interesting- can do without the hot sticky clothes! Enjoy your upcoming tour in Morocco. Sounds like all the bathing experiences are helping to keep your socks from standing up on their own! Can't wait to hear about your travels when we meet up with you in Tanzania.
    Happy Travels
    MomG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are making lots of memories for you to discuss after you get home. Hope you are taking lots of pictures of people, places, and each other to jog your memory in your old age.

    ReplyDelete