Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Giving Thanks

While many of you who read this blog might not be celebrating Thanksgiving on the 22nd like those of us from America, I figured I would take this opportunity to reflect back upon the last 10 months and relay those things for which I am thankful. Every other American blogger in the world will probably be writing a similar post, but clearly mine will be the best. I am truly thankful for my modesty.

I am thankful for....

weather Gods. Nearly every stop on my trip has been filled with perfect weather. I can't really remember a time when rain washed out any important segment of my trip. 

the South African street mugger who was terrible at his job. Not only did he not rob me of about $7000 in cash and camera equipment, but he had the common courtesy to wish me a nice day as he walked away. Sweet guy.

airline pilots. Keep doing your thing. I've got a few more flights to go.

airlines who give good meals. LAN airlines, you are excluded from this conversation.

my heart and a good set of lungs. They did my overweight self proud during the Inca Trail hike.

hostel breakfasts. No matter how bad they are, it is at least 1 less thing I have to pay for on any given day.

overnight buses. Or more to the point, I am thankful when overnight bus rides end. The only people who seem to sleep on those journeys are the locals, and I am not one of the locals.

countries where I can flush toilet paper down the toilet instead of throwing it into a trash can.

showers with water temps slightly warmer than freezing.

showers with shower curtains. I'm talking to you Asia. Is it so hard to have some sort of tub or shower curtain with your showers? Water goes everywhere and makes a simple trip to the toilet a matter of life and death after a shower has been taken. You try to be helpful with the sandals you provide, but they are 4 sizes too small for most human beings feet and just make it even more treacherous to walk across the slippery floors.

the 3 outfits I've worn all year. No need to ask questions. You heard me. 3 outfits. Oh sure, I've worn a bathing suit, a t-shirt or 2, perhaps 5 pairs of socks, and maybe I've worn long underwear a time or 2, but yes, essentially 3 outfits. And I'm still reeling from the loss of my beloved orange shirt. That was a serious hit to the wardrobe.

my Nikon d700 camera. You've done yeoman's work. Keep it up.

Tessco canned goods. Don't know if I could have survived Africa without you, but I would have been willing to give it a try.

firstrowsports.eu. Wish I would have discovered you sooner. You have helped me keep my sanity and allowed me to watch good 'ol American sports whenever I have wanted.

fast internet speeds. There are fewer things more frustrating than paying for internet and watching your money thrown away as sites take forever and a day to upload.

my ATM card. You heard me correctly. I am thankful for my ATM card. Without you I wouldn't have had nearly as many interesting stories to tell. I will have traveled to around 35 countries this year and you will have worked in exactly 7 of them. Way to be, you miserable piece of nearly useless plastic.

for my ever dwindling bank account. Hang in there. I'll beef you up next year.


Seriously though, I am thankful for all of the new friends I've made and the old friends with whom I've been able to reconnect. From Tash and her brother James in Australia, my cousin Jeff in Australia, Stacey in New Zealand, Phil and Kristie on the Milford Track, Lori in Cambodia, Jayci in China, the entire crew in Africa, Scott and Julie in Serbia, George in Hungary, Mary in Portugal, my friends in the Galapagos at Jatun Sacha, the entire crew from the Inca Trail, Michael on Easter Island, and the dozens of others with whom I've only spent an evening or 2, you have all enhanced my trip experience in many different ways, and I can't thank you enough. 

I am thankful to all of you who read my blog. It's been a good outlet for me and something I've enjoyed writing very much. Knowing that so many of you keep up with my adventures makes me feel good. Makes me feel like I am still in your lives even though I am many thousands of miles away.

Finally, I am thankful for my family. Whether it is a frantic phone call from a bus station in Malaysia, or from a cab in the early morning hours in Beijing, you have been there every step of the way. It can't be easy as parents to see your first born go on an adventure which takes him to some strange parts of the world, but you've been supportive and done a serviceable job of hiding your anxiety. Skype is an amazing tool which has greatly aided communication with my brother and parents, but it will be nice to see all of your faces in person when I return in a month.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Watch football for me, and eat lots of good food. I'll probably be having an overpriced $4 hotdog on Easter Island for my Thanksgiving meal. What I wouldn't give for a nice piece of Tofurkey, I mean turkey, with all the trimmings. See you soon.


3 comments:

  1. It was great talking to you tonight and reading your latest blog. It's our first Thanksgiving (actually any holiday) without both Jason and you with us. However, we're thankful that you're both healthy, happy and enjoying yourself which is what parents always hope for their children. We're also thankful that we can now say, "Jeremy will be home in one month". May you continue to have a wonderful trip. Happy Travels-
    Love,
    MomG

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're thinking of you every day, but especially at this holiday time. Your travels have been fun to follow. I admire your adventurous spirit and your willingness to share with us all.
    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaynor, I've been falling behind on your blog, but am catching up now - and I just love reading about all of your adventures! I'm so thankful I've been able to follow along on your journey - looking forward to seeing you soon and hearing all about it!!

    ReplyDelete