Sunday, July 29, 2012

Things Aren't Always as They Seem

I am tired. Exhausted in mind and body. Worn out. Fatigued. You may be reading this at your desk at work or following a long week of work and wonder, "How can this vagabond traveling around the world be tired? He should be full of energy because he isn't working." Well, HE isn't full of energy. HE is tired. Tired of being harrassed by kids on the street for a shoe shine. Tired of being asked by those same kids if I want ot buy chewing gum or tissues. Tired of saying NO to a tuk tuk ride. Tired of little kids running up to you and grabbing your hand as you try and walk and talk with friends froom one destination to the next. Tired of walking through dirty African cities in search of the next bar that will serve 50 cent beers. I am tired of a diet consisting of Ethiopian food, eggs, pasta and bread. I am tired of flies 'bugging' me every second of the day. I am tired of the afrernoon Ethiopian rain showers. Tired I tell ya, TIRED.

This overlanding trip has been a blast, and I expect more fun times in Egypt over the final month, but it is starting to become exhausting. At the start of the trip in April, I was looking forward to having the next 4 months of my life planned for me. As I enter the final month though, I am ready to start planning my travels again and only going to places I want to see. Eating more unique food and doing everything in my power not to be bored. The last couple of weeks in Ethiopia have had some of the most stunning drives you would ever hope to be a part of, but have also had stops in some sub-par boring cities. Addis Ababa was a dump but for seeing 10 million yr old fossils. Lalibela was interesting for its' carved out of stone churches. Axum was dull.

Our final stop in Ethiopia, Gondar, is also low on world class sightseeing but at least I am staying in a 4 star hotel with free wifi and Olympic games coverage, all for about $8 per night. Maybe after 2 nights here I will write a post saying "I was tired."  Some things will never change. Give me a comfy bed in a room with a tv, relatively fast internet, and a good food and maybe I won't be so tired

2 comments:

  1. Dad's napping as I'm reading your "tired" blog- seems to run in the family at the moment. Dad too will become refreshed and energized when he wakes up and I'm sure you too will do the same after a little down time. I'm sure TV and the olympics won't hurt the cause either!
    Happy Travels
    MomG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a nice. long comment, but it got lost in the netherworld. Oh well. Just a short note to say that I'm enjoying your trip through your blog.
    Get a couple of nights of good sleep and you'll be rejuvenated.

    ReplyDelete