Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hello and Goodbye

So much for that great start to the season for the O's. I hate the Yankees. However, the one saving grace for an organization I wish never existed is that they are popular around the world. I got to my hotel room in Hoi An, Vietnam today and was scrolling through the TV channels when I came across a replay of the last game in this most recent O's-Yankees series. Since I rode 15hrs on a train from Saigon to Hoi An last night, I had no idea who won the game. If this is the last time I have to watch Kevin Gregg blow a game this year I will be a happy man. Nick Swisher said, "Hello and Goodbye" to a baseball in the 10th inning of that game that still hasn't landed yet.

In the life of a backpacker, there are also endless hellos and goodbyes to cities and people alike. Some are easier to make than others. Despite every city hello in SE Asia being delayed by bus drivers and train conductors who seemingly don't value my time the way that I do, I have always looked forward to getting to each city for one reason or another. Admittedly, after a few hours in some of them, I have been ready to say a quick goodbye (Bangkok), while others (Melbourne, Ban Pin) have been slightly more difficult to leave.

On an almost daily basis, it is easy to introduce yourself to a number of other backpackers. Introducing myself to people at home has never been one of my stronger social qualities, and I am only slightly better at it on the road. Don't really know what I am worried about because an entertaining few hours usually results after every introduction. But because those interactions are fleeting, a a relatively painless goodbye is lurking right around the corner and you are left to do the same thing all over again the next day. Kind of a glass half empty and half full situation.

The first 5wks of my trip was spent in Australia and New Zealand with family and friends from my past travels through Europe. I was so comfortable around them that it didn't even feel like I was traveling halfway around the world. Since then, I have been traveling for another month, and all of my interactions with fellow backpackers have been of the fleeting variety. In the life of a backpacker, prolonged interactions with other backpackers are rare. Travel plans don't usually coincide for more than a day or 2 at the most before we each go our separate ways. So when you actually get to spend a significant amount of time with someone, that relationship progresses at an almost dog year like speed.  The things I learn about fellow backpackers after only 24hrs spent with them would take a week or two to learn with new acquaintances at home. In other words, you really get to know someone extremely well after spending 6 days with them.

My recent travels through Cambodia with a Coloradoan named Lori lasted 6 days and were without a doubt some of the most enjoyable travel experiences I have had following that first chance encounter with a fellow backpacker. It was nice to have a connection with someone on more than just that typical superficial backpacker level. The kind of someone who actually remembers your name for more than 5 minutes. The kind of someone who can make you laugh every day. The kind of someone who you can commiserate with about the stinking heat. And most importantly, the kind of someone who you can call a friend.  I know I will make more friends on this trip, but that didn't make saying goodbye to Lori any easier. It kind of left me with the feeling I had at college graduation. That feeling of uncertainty in not knowing when I am going to see those friends again whom I just spent nearly every day for 4+ yrs of my life getting to know.  I take comfort in knowing our paths will cross again and I look forward to that next "hello" that might just evolve into a similar relationship.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy the special people and experiences you have on your trip. It's always nice sharing experiences with a friend. We figured Lori had a good sense of humor when we saw the monkey on her back pictures! Those pictures and your comments made us smile and laugh as well.
    Happy travels.
    MomG

    ReplyDelete
  2. She must have been a special person to enjoy 6 days with!! I'm really enjoying your pictures, but most of all your candid descriptions of everything you see and do. It's almost like I can actually hear you saying the words you write!! Keep the posts coming, I'm still following along!

    ~ Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, lovely!! You'll meet more people as amazing as me, no doubt :) <3

    ReplyDelete